Jun 1, 2010

I Left My Heart in the Pacific Northwest

For the past three years, I have promised Kate Nipper a trip to Portland. I always had plans of going, but never made the full committment. That all changed last week. For the past 5 months or so, Aaron and I have been hardcore in our efforts to save for our week-long vacation to Portland to see the Nippers and Schaffers and a little romantic getaway to Seattle.

I can't put into exact words how much fun we had and how this trip changed our lives, so I'll just make a list.


We were greeted by Merritt's face at the airport.


We learned what "Gaboo! Gaboo!" meant from Lily (Gimmie! Gimmie!).

Watched the finale of LOST with the Schaffers after traveling across the country. POLAR BEAR!

Irina took us to The Grotto for the full-blown Catholic experience and some scenic views of Portland.


Saw a shit ton of trees. Big, tall green ones.


Discovered why The Kennedy School is famous for it's tater tots.


Appreciated VooDoo Donuts and Twin Peaks at the same time. Diane, these donuts are quite spectacular. Also, the coffee, outta this world.

Learned that The Great Northwest accepts all flavors of manlove.


Got tipsy and played Rock Band with the Schaffers in our PJs. Found out that Irina knows all the words to some terrible 80's rock song. "Love will find a way just give it time TIME TIME TIME TIME!"


Taught Lily how to put on makeup, the deliciousness of chocoate gelato, and how to say her favorite aunt's name .. "J!"



Fell in love with the Space Needle.


And then fell all kinds of in love with his face for the billionth time.


Shopped. Shopped. Shopped.

Vinyl. Vinyl. Vinyl.

Clothes. Clothes. Clothes.

Ate the very best breakfast at Pike's Place Market.

Thought I had coffee at the original Starbucks. Then while showing Kate my great shot of the "original" Starbucks, was quickly informed that it was indeed, not.

Ran out of gas while exiting the Interstate with the Nippers. Peed on the side of the road. Laughed uncontrolably. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATE!


"Climbed" a mountian/waterfalls in peep-toed flats. Turns out Kate Nipper is always right. Tennis shoes are always the best option when exploring nature.


Thought for a brief moment that Aaron loved SWIRL! more than he loved me.


Showed Kate how to get Google on the phone and then how to Shazam all over the place.

Got lost in the West Hills, attempted to sniff a flower that was "too tight to smell," and tried to talk Kate through the worst gas bubble in the history of gas bubbles while she was driving. Ouch.

Sang Mates of State with the only person I know who really gets it like I do.

Figured out that I am not very photogenic.


Witnessed the beginning of a true man friendship, manship (?) between Matt and Aaron. I'm pretty sure they made love Boyz II Men style on top of a mountain.


Realized that I would go to the ends of the earth for these two.



Ate, drank, and was merry to the ultimate 90s playlist in the company of some of my favorite faces.


So, when are we going back?

2 comments:

Whit said...

So very jealous of your adventure and so very happy that you got to go!

We are headed back soon... you guys should just plan to come too!:)

Katie said...

In all fairness, hiking boots would be best. But anything is better than the flats with the toes.

Also. My god. The gas bubble.