Aug 18, 2013

Better Late Than Never

So, we have this to share ... 


At the end of May I went in for my annual lady business appointment. I did the usual. Pee in a cup, put on the lovely paper gown and sat on the exam table for Dr. Gomez to see me. As I waited, I couldn't help but stare at the cup of urine sitting on the counter and the pregnancy test strip sitting right next to it. I didn't dare move to see what the test said because I would just assume it was negative. It wasn't like Aaron and I were actively trying to have a baby, and I was scheduled to start my period the next day. 

Dr. Gomez came in and we talked about when I wanted to start a family while the nurse Jo stood over the counter. As Dr. Gomez and I moved on to starting a family to how to handle my unpredictable periods, Jo suddenly raised her arm, looked at both of us and said "YOU ARE PREGNANT!"

I sat there naked expect for the paper covering me and started to shake and cry and suddenly the room was spinning. Jo and Dr. Gomez came over and hugged me. I couldn't stop shaking. 

I couldn't stop shaking as I went to see an afternoon movie with Jess (I shared the news before the movie started because I was certain she could just tell by looking at me that something was up). I I couldn't stop shaking when I came home and told Aaron that our family of two was about to expand to three. 

Aaron's response was "we can do this" while all I could think was "HOLY SHIT THIS IS NOT IN THE PLAN RIGHT NOW."

It's been quite a summer dealing with the first trimester and the beginning of the second trimester. I was sick as a dog for those first 12 weeks. I couldn't eat, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I thought for certain I would never make it. 

But now that my tummy is looking more like a pregnant belly and less like a beer gut and the morning/all day sickness has subsided, I can say that I feel more and more ready to be a mom as each day goes by. 

I can't wait to meet this little one. As I lie in bed at night I try to imagine what Baby Bear Harris will look like, what kind of personality he/she will have, and prepare myself for the big world of motherhood. 

Here's to five more months! 

No comments: